Monday, September 2, 2013

The Long View

So now, whenever someone asks me what I do for a living, I don't have to give a preamble that I used to be an art director for over 15 years - but now I'm writing a novel. No, instead I can simply say that I'm a writer and that my book is available on Amazon. See? much less explanation and a little more credibility.

So I launched the book and posted on Facebook and created a group and knew the sales would be meh because it takes the long view to reach the ultimate goal as a writer making a living wage. So this is the start of what will be the continuance of novel writing.

But fuckin' A, the long view seems long.

"Buy the ticket. Take the ride," as Hunter S. Thompson put it. This is exciting stuff, putting yourself out there in front of friends (mostly) and then a few strangers. I didn't expect to feel vulnerable about it, but I found myself exposed - and loving it. The fact that one person other than my immediate family has agreed to read the book (let alone slap down a couple bucks for the privilege) is kind of mind blowing.

My thankfulness is vast.

So now, comes the long view - the marketing. More than the initial blast, the marketing now is a day to day activity to find new readers. This is how it goes. That inch worm knew his shit.

Namaste, bitches.

No comments:

Post a Comment